Thursday, March 25, 2010

Obviously I Need to Expand to the UK

In the currently overwhelming number of posts on the blog - I can see how someone might have missed my article "You May Want to Keep Your Twitter Clothes On".  Obviously, my article did not cross the pond to the United Kingdom or "Elaine", the poor speller, would not be the butt of my posting today.

Last night, enjoying my almost daily obsession with reading GeekSugar, I came across the posting "Teen Gets Fired From Job Via Facebook."  My initial reaction was simply, "this is wrong on so many levels."  But lets hit the highlights.  As a professional who has worked for several Fortune 500 companies, I can safely say, I have seen things done well and not as well.  This one falls under "what were you thinking"!

If you want to be respected, you must give respect:  firing someone via Facebook isn't just disrespectful - it's down right foul.  If an employee makes a mistake and needs to be let go, have documentation to back up your decision:  you'll want it, if you don't want to wind up in court.  If you would like to avoid being sued for slander, I would certainly watch out for confidentiality and not post things for all the world to see - and especially in a place where there would be lots of witnesses who would not likely be on your side.  And finally, if you must speak publicly about your profession or represent your company - learn to spell.  Or get someone who's willing to proof read your work.  "Elaine", your posting is rude, poorly thought out, sloppy, and makes you look like a fool.  I'm assuming that is not the look you were going for but it is the one you created.

Had "Elaine" put her "Twitter clothes on" before hitting the post button, I would have hope that she would have deleted the entire posting and waited for the appropriate time, place, and method for handing the situation with "Chelsea".  However, not knowing "Elaine," I cannot be entirely sure of that.  So here is my advice to all of you, unless you want people from all over the world mocking you and making you fodder for water cooler conversations, think before you post.  If thinking is not your strong suit, get friends who will proof read your work for you and who will disconnect your Internet connection as appropriate.

(http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/AV1283-001/Stone)

Creative Commons License
Social Media and the Pea by Alice Ann Williams is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.socialmediaandthepea.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.socialmediaandthepea.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment