Saturday, May 22, 2010

Facebook Privacy - Use ReclaimPrivacy.org

Privacy.  Protection.  Peace of Mind.  Making sure information about our family, friends, whereabouts, and statuses are safe and secure is on the minds of the majority of Facebook users.  But how do we know if we've protected ourselves?  How do we know if all of our settings are as secure as they can be?

ReclaimPrivacy.org is designed to provide users with an "independent and open tool for scanning your Facebook privacy settings."  By using Reclaim Privacy while also using Facebook, Reclaim Privacy will run multiple scans on your privacy settings to make sure you are the "most secure."  If there are areas that need to be adjusted, Reclaim Privacy will either ask if you want them to adjust those settings on your behalf or will let you know where you need to go to make those corrections yourself.  By then running a rescan, you can determine if you have corrected the issues, need to make more changes, or determine that you have the level of security you want and leave particular items alone.

Privacy issues are broken down into several categories so you can tailor your desired level of security.  For example, I left my setting that anyone can find me and send me a Facebook friend request, which left my scan result at a "caution" level.  However, I felt confident making this decision knowing that I made that choice versus Facebook making it for me, giving me another level of control over my page.

I have also opted to join ReclaimPrivacy.org's newsletter so I am notified when there are updates.  The newsletter also acts as a good reminder to rerun Reclaim's program every so often to keep my security up to date.  Since there are plenty of individuals interested in stealing my identity and using my information against me, it is nice to find a program on my side to help me protect myself.

Simple and easy to use, Reclaim Privacy takes only a couple of minutes and is well worth it.  It has come recommended by industry leaders such as CNN's Mario Armstrong, and what could be better than free security?  Visit their site to start protecting yourself now.

Creative Commons License
Social Media and the Pea by Alice Ann Williams is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.socialmediaandthepea.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.socialmediaandthepea.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment