Thursday, May 6, 2010

Here We Go Loopt De Loopt

www.loopt.com
"Here we go loop de loop, here we go loop de lie.  Here we go loop de loop.  All on a Saturday night."

So it's Saturday, you say.  Ok, it's really Thursday, but by now you are already thinking about Saturday. Many of you are getting ready to make plans for the weekend, and you really are already thinking about Saturday night.  And as you do, you should think about going Loopt'ing as you make your plans.  Businesses - my question to you is:  are you also Loopt'ing?

Loopt is yet another location-based social networking program that, like other programs we have studied previously, connects you with your friends to tell them where you are and your opinion on the business you are visiting.  The biggest difference - and most valuable feature - is the Loopt "Pulse".  The Pulse allows the user to search not only for places near him or her and see a quick view of what Loopt users think of the business, but more importantly, it allows the user to access a list of events in the community:  baseball games, plays, concerts, specials, etc.  

So like Foursquare and Gowalla, I can share my location with my friends, post pictures, and share my opinions.  From that standpoint, it's not much different.  Instead of a game; however, it functions more as  a networking tool.  The Pulse feature is what truly makes it stand out.  If I am looking for something to do, not only does it give me locations in my area, but the events feature gives local business the ability to market to me by giving me options as to what I can do tonight:  handy for the end-user and a great marketing opportunity for businesses.  For example, in the "Pulse" section under "Events" was listed a baseball game, its start time, and location.  By clicking on it, I was able to obtain additional information such as a route to the stadium, the stadium's website and phone number, and I was given the ability to check in to the event and share the event with my friends. Other events such as the local bar having a live music event this evening offered savings at the event by checking in via Loopt and then showing the checkin to the hostess.

Networking, event notification, and savings for the customer, easy marketing for a venue - that's about perfect no matter which way you look at it.




Creative Commons License
Social Media and the Pea by Alice Ann Williams is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.socialmediaandthepea.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.socialmediaandthepea.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment